The Shire of Capel recognises that recreational trails perform a number of highly beneficial roles in our broader Community, including:
- The provision of low key, unstructured passive recreation for local residents and visitors to the area
- Enabling the Community to gain fitness
- Fostering general wellbeing
- Encouragement of a conservation ethic amongst the Community
- Education of local residents and visitors to the area, especially when good interpretation is a feature of the trail.
In 2009, a Shire Trails Master Plan was developed; identifying the upgrading and interpretation of existing trails, as well as the potential development of new trails as resources as funding becomes available. This plan is currently under review.