The Council and staff of the Shire of Capel are closely considering what measures will support our community in recovery from the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. Some of the following suggestions of the WA Local Government Association and the State Government have been implemented and others will be assessed by Council in the coming weeks.
Implemented or promised:
- No increase to rates for the 2020 / 21 financial year;
- Implement zero-days creditor payment terms to support business cash flow;
- Prioritise Local Government spending with local businesses and contractors;
- Flexible response to all payment arrangements with suspension of penalties;
- Commence preparation for business and community to recover and reconnect from COVID19.
- Adoption of the WALGA template rates hardship policy;
- Rate relief options to support small businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Review fees and charges to see whether fees can be reduced, waived or deferred during the pandemic;
- Bring forward capital works and infrastructure spending using reserves and/or borrowing;
- Providing support for Community sporting and cultural groups by either establishing grant programs or waiving fees and charges;
- Responding to community need in recovery.
We hope to make further announcements soon. Keep safe, and let us know if you think we can help in any other way.
Cr Michael Southwell