Having an emergency survival kit is an important step to prepare and protect your household for an emergency such as a storm or bushfire.
Your Emergency Survival Kit should be kept in a storage container/backpack in a location that is easy to get to and the whole family knows about.
Recommended items to include in your kit are:
- a portable battery operated AM/FM radio
- a waterproof torch
- spare batteries
- a first aid kit with manual
- candles and waterproof matches
- woollen blankets
- a list of emergency contact numbers (laminated if possible so as to protect from water)
- some basic non-perishable food items (museli bars, tinned beans etc)
- bottled water
- toilet paper
- garbage bags
Don’t forget to prepare for your pets as well. Make sure your pet is wearing an identification tag at all times. Make up a container/backpack for your pet/s also, again in a storage container in a location you can get to easily and that the whole family knows about.
Recommended items to include in your pet’s kit are:
- a spare leash and collar
- a basket or pet bed
- any medications your pet requires
- enough food for at least 3 days
- a familiar toy
- a water bowl and food bowl
Simple things like the above can help reduce the stress for your pet in an emergency, and in turn for you, knowing you have the basics to hand to care for them should you need to evacuate or be unable to leave your property.