Fire Restrictions

Current Burning Period:


 To obtain a permit to burn please contact your local Fire Control Officer.

Bush Fire Prevention Order

The annual Bush Fire Prevention Order is sent out with your annual rates notice.

Please ensure that you read through the relevant section of the Bush Fire Prevention Order for your property type so that you are aware of the work you will be required to undertake prior to the 30th November and maintain right through the summer months. If there are any points within the order/s that you are unsure of, please contact the Community Rangers at the Shire on 9727 0222 during business hours.

The order is broken up in to three sections;

  • Residential/Commercial/Industrial Land with a block size of less than 2024m2 (or half an acre)
  • Large Residential/Commercial/Industrial/Special Rural land with a block size greater than 2024m2 (or half an acre)
  • Rural Land

If you are unsure as to your block size or property type, please call the Shire and confirm on 9727 0222 during business hours.

A list of contractors that have advised the Shire of Capel they are able to assist you with required works can be found below.

Preparing for the upcoming fire season is everyone’s responsibility. No matter where you are located, there will be things you can do to help reduce the fuel load and reduce the potential spread of bush fire. You should also take some time to ensure you are prepared for what you will do in the event of an emergency. More information about how to do this can be found on the ‘Are You Prepared’ section of our website.

2018-19 Bushfire Prevention Order

Firebreak Contractors 2018-19

Should you wish to apply for an variation to the requirements for your property, you must do so in writing using the below form, PRIOR to the 31st October 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.

Bush Fire Variation Form

You can either apply to install your firebreaks in an alternate position to that required in the order, and/or to take alternate action to control fire risks on your land, or you can apply for an exemption from the requirement to install firebreaks for either a 1 year or a 5 year period.

All applications must first be discussed by yourself with your local Fire Control Officer, who must countersign your application before you submit it to the Shire to indicate their support of your plan. Once submitted the Manager Emergency & Ranger Services will assess your application.